Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

On love and Superman -- reposting



As a kid, I have always loved Superman. Movies, Lois and Clark, Smallville - name it I have watched it. I loved seeing the blue tights and the red cape fly across my tv screen. I have also adored the almost smug confidence that he has and the way that he crosses his arms over himself while dealing with the thugs and criminals. I loved the way that a simple glance at the red and blue icon can bring a feeling of joy, peace and security to the citizens of Metropolis (and me, of course). Safe to say that I was a pretty obsessed fan before even getting into the point wherein I was arguing with Batman fans. (peace hehe)

There was a time though when due to my busy schedule, I was unable to watch anything at all about Superman for months. Getting up in the night and sleeping during mornings have proven to be a barrier between me and my favorite superhero, which was a drag.

So last week, I decided to treat myself. Armed with a large bag of popcorn and a liter of soda, I sat down to engage myself to watch Lois and Clark (the Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher tandem) on dvd. Upon watching my red and blue icon fly across my screen again, I realized something. I have never missed Superman at all. Instead, after reviewing the scenes, I had actually missed his alter ego, Clark Kent. I missed Clark's glasses which made him somewhat softer. I missed his hesitant smile which is so different from Superman's sure one. I missed seeing that loving gaze that he gives out whenever he looks at Lois. I missed his concept of loyalty and of friendship. More importantly, I missed seeing his ability to love and ACCEPT all people, regardless of who they are and what they did. I missed his optimism and his belief that love actually can solve ANYTHING.

So cheesy as it may seem, I don't look for a man in blue tights anymore. I stopped dreaming of a god holding your hand while flying above the clouds or being rescued while falling from a 9 storey building. I stopped wishing for Superman to come along my way. I just want to find my Clark Kent - someone who will see beyond every single detail of me and still love me just the same. Someone who'll tell me I'm beautiful when I feel the ugliest. Someone who'll kiss me and say that I am perfect just the way I am. Someone who'll ACCEPT me for me - including the not so good stuffs that make up my being. Someone who can dance with me even if there's no music. Someone just to be there to love me and talk to me and just simply be with me. Someone basically real in every sense of the word.

And luckily enough, I did :)





No comments: